Thursday 4 October 2012

Beachcomber

Another fab day on the sunshine coast, while the rest of the country is under five feet of water !. Gosh this could be anywhere down the west coast of France. Deserted for miles and miles.



I spent a good hour observing a family of seals...I won't bore you with the 200 other photos. They were so inquisitive. Swimming away and fishing then coming back to where I was sitting for another look. They almost came out of the water they were so nosey ! Lovely to see them. This coast is a great place to watch mothers with their pups out on the sand, between December and February.


It was a beachcombing sort of a day. Painting in situ was proving more difficult than I thought, paper kept blowing away and I didn't take enough water to keep changing it, so everything ended up a muddy mess.
I soon filled my pockets with bits of beautifully smoothed drift wood. There were lots of tiny pieces scattered  about. I wasn't sure how I would use them, but didn't want to leave them there.


When I got back to the place I was staying, (which by the way is Fishermans Return, highly recommended ) I had a bit of a brain wave ! I will paint them and make necklace charms or key rings. Here are the first two experiments. All they need is a hole drilled in the top, that may be trickier than I think, and either a piece of leather threaded through, or a ring end for keys. I have only used watercolour paint for these two as that was all I have to hand. Acrylics and varnish should do it.



 Trying to do a ten min sketch before it all blew away ! and yes I took the picture myself ! arm outstretched. I like to have a few reminders of where I have been but don't like to ask strangers to take them....anyway there wasn't anyone else for miles.
I have had a lovely week here, batteries recharged and ready to go again. All change when I get back