Thursday 20 September 2012

Ordinary days are dream like

A few weeks ago I mentioned I had become fascinated by light on water, so much so, I have been taking endless photos. The only trouble is they all look quite similar when they are loaded onto my laptop. The colours are very similar....a khaki green sea and brooding sky is usual. I'm wanting to inject more vibrancy into my paintings.
On my way through the boat yard, earlier in the year, I had been struck by the wonderful colours on the bottom of yachts. they were out of the water having a new coat of anti fowl applied or having their hulls scraped of barnacles. The colours were so vibrant and eye catching that I took a load of pics, stashed them away and forgot about them. It was only yesterday as I trailed through my photos that it struck me, that many of them looked like my seascapes, or waves crashing on the shore.....but in the most fantastic colourways. yup, I think I shall be using some of the colours below in my new project.

Waves rushing up the beach.


A well defined horizon.



  Light on the water.


The barnacles here resemble sea spray.


This one even looks like a finished painting ! beautiful.




Sunset !


Red sky at night with the waves rolling in....



......and with this one below, I started mucking about with 'paint' on the computer....a little definition and a few blobby beach huts and it's almost done.


'Ordinary days are dream like' .... The start of a blog post by John Tarrant, you can read it HERE
Today I woke up and did something I hadn't really given much thought, but it seemed the right thing to do. I just did it. Time will tell. I like that feeling of not having to think too hard about how the day might go, to just watch it happening. An interesting koan.

It is the Autumn equinox this week and the tides are the highest and lowest. One minute Brightlingsea is flooded and the next it is a muddy ditch. Figures scuttle about on the mud, hoping to find something that has long been underwater. Someone sits patiently in their marooned car, waiting for the ebb tide. Out of the sun, the wind feels chill, time to put the flip flops away for another year.