Friday 4 March 2011

New Beginings

Just the start.


I have begun work on a few new pieces. I have three different sized canvases, just to see how the size changes the dynamics of a painting. The one above/below measures approx 102cm x 75cm. I like working big. I find it much easier to be messy! Normally I beaver away on a couple of works at the same time, so that I'm not always hanging around waiting for paint to dry. But having different sized boards to work on makes it much more difficult. I can't use the same size brushes and have to alter the compositions quite dramatically. Still it's all good fun.
I always start in the same way, by layering, papers and paint to form the background.


This one is tiny, and my lettering rather overwhelms the flighty birds, dipping in and out of the splattered ink. But I like the way the words resemble furrowed ploughed fields so it kinda works.


The one below measures 30 x40cm. An inbetweeny size. Both the one above and this one are on recycled canvas frames. I hated the originals and so tore off the offending canvas and screwed some ply on the frames in it's place. The ply gives a nice texture too. I'm using ink on these, so that I can use my calligraphy pens. Not sure how the ink will stand up to the finishing varnish. I've had disastrous results in the past, where it bled horribly. Hmmm, time to try hairspray me thinks. 


Alice doing some warm up exercises before starting an expressive painting (See unlocking creativity workshops), She needed to warm up, my studio was perishing that day, hence the mountain of jumpers she had to put on ! 
My workshops start again next week, we have a few places left, so if you are interested have a look at the link over on the sidebar.