Thursday 17 March 2011

It's all about looking & feeling

I was explaining the other day during my workshop, how important it was to spend as much time looking (probably more) at your work as it is to put paint on the canvas. How intuition is key to each brush stroke, each colour choice, each mark. It's about feeling the next move rather than thinking it. I like to burst into my studio to look at a painting, that will give me an instant reaction to it, I can intuitively see what needs to be done. The same with building layers, putting lines and marks in and then taking then out. Blank out whole areas, make scribbles, cover then up again. The more layers, the more interesting the piece.
This is what I convey in my workshops. How no formal training is needed to create a beautiful and expressive piece of work. The key is not to be afraid to start.

This wonderful vid showing the work of Mary Nomecos illustrates this perfectly.