Thursday 17 January 2013

The Art of Trying

Pablo Picasso said ' God is, above all, an artist. He invented the girafe, the elephant, and the ant. He never tried to follow one particular style. He simply kept doing whatever he felt like doing.'

Paulo Coelho said 'It is the desire to walk that creates the path ahead; however, when we set off on the journey towards our dream, we feel very afraid, as if we have to get everything right first time. But given that we all have different lives, who decided what 'getting everything right' means ? 

Why do we have to follow what everyone else has done? To learn from their mistakes? Or to follow blindly where others have gone, in the hope it will work for us too? More often than not, living in this 'safe' way, life becomes a prison.
Anyway, let go of the oars, let the boat drift.....those are my new year's thoughts.


Still experimenting with the watercolours. I'm finding a small sponge gives a nice bloomy effect. It moves colour around quite nicely and lifts off excess paint easily.


Having worked with layering materials and acrylics for so long, I am still finding watercolours a challenge. The last thing I want is to produce twee renditions of landscapes, and need to sort out which technique is best for me. So there is still much in the way of experimentation going on !
Going back through my photos of Valletta, I'm finding the crumbly architecture again very inspiring. But don't at this stage want to be drawn into the obvious colour palette of blue skies and ochre buildings. At the moment I want to stick to my usual limited colour palette of pains grey, raw umber, yellow ochre and a little ultramarine.
Every thing turned to black !


Too wet !


Being much more controlled as to where I put the water, keeping it very much inside a drawn area. Then when that is dry, moving on to another area.
Not sure I like it....thinks it looks a little too controlled. 
A view across Xemxia bay.


Onward and upward .....