Wednesday 13 February 2013

A Strange Tail


Wuzu Fayan said, 'It’s as though a water buffalo is passing
through a lattice window. Its head, horns, and four legs have all
gone through. Why can't the tail go through? ' 


I like this koan. Holding on to the tail while I paint ! I keep asking myself....'is this the tail?.....is this the tail? ' Curiouser and curiouser... Why does the tail remain? What is holding onto it? Ahhhhh, attachments. And so I start to notice my everyday attachments, well, life generally. Mind, desire, want, this should be different. Every day needs. The human genome. We can't pass completely through the lattice window, because if we do, we fall off the cliff !


I'm in the process of setting up an Etsy shop...Huzzah. Easier said than done for a technophobe like me. I will be selling originals as well as some cards and giclée prints. So hold onto your hats and I'll let you know when I'm up and running.