Monday 14 June 2010

Ancient culture

The wanderer returns! My goodness what a fabulous trip. I fell in love with Libya and it's people. So much so, I had to stay another week! I won't bore you with tales of my adventures here, and there were a couple. Nor will Try and explain the history. Suffice to say Roman and Greek history can be explained far better by some one more learned.

As this is an arty blog, I will mostly concentrate on showing a few pictures of mosaics and carvings that I found inspiring and may well use in some future work.

Sadly my camera died half way through the trip and I have no record at all of some of the most interesting pieces.

This post just shows the stunning quality of the ruins and the most amazing positions of these settlements. Wow the Romans knew where to build a city. The surface has hardly been scratched, Libya is an absolute treasure chest. I hope it won't be the last time I visit.

I started in Tripoli and went back and forth along the Mediterranian coast, visiting the sights of Sabratha, Leptis Magna, Cyrene and the magical Apollonia.

As the week closed and I thought about going home, it seemed silly not to stay another week and venture into the desert. Luckily my good friend Abdul was able to sort out the necessary arrangements, and off we went.
Sadly my camera had given up the ghost at this point and I have no record of my very splendid adventure.

SABRATHA


TEMPLE OF ZEUS - CYRENE


PUNIC MARKET - LEPTIS MAGNA